In 2021, Valley signed on to the MACDC Racial Equity Pledge.
We are taking steps that are in line with this pledge, and this page will be updated as we continue.
I. Root Causes
We commit to learning and addressing the different levels of racism so we can take action to dismantle those inequities.
- Valley established a Racial Equity & Justice Committee comprised of staff and board members to look at all the work we do through a racial equity lens and guide our decision making.
- Valley implemented regular Racial Equity & Justice Lunch & Learns open to all Board and staff. These learning sessions enhance individual and shared understanding of DEI concepts, past and present racial discrimination, and other systems of oppression and how they relate to our organization.
- Staff and Board will attend anti-racism trainings facilitated by a nationally-known organization in order to address and correct issues of diversity.
II. Representation: Staff
We believe that our staff should be diverse, equitable, inclusive, and representative of the communities we serve.
- Valley updated job descriptions incorporating DEI work and non-traditional skill sets.
- Valley updated its employee handbook to create a framework of equity and inclusion for staff.
- Valley is providing mentoring and professional development opportunities to staff members and will be looking for opportunities to promote from within.
- Valley is including a salary range on all job postings to signal a commitment to equity, trust, transparency, and respect.
III. Representation: Board
We believe that our Board should be diverse, equitable, inclusive, and representative of the communities we serve:
- Valley actively recruit racially, economically, and ethnically diverse community members for vacant Board positions and committee work.
IV. Representation: Our Work
We believe in authentic representation in our policies, programs, and services:
- We retained VISIONS, a nationally-known organization to facilitate DEI learning for staff and Board to identify and address issues of diversity. equity, and inclusion for the organization.
- We have revised our mission and values to highlight our current priorities.
- We have created a strategic plan for the next three years that will support our updated mission and values and we are incorporating our DEI goals.