Ball Lane Community Homes is a proposed affordable homeownership development which will create an estimated 30 homes on an 8.33-acre property in North Amherst. Twenty of the homes will be deed restricted to income-eligible households, and ten homes will be sold at market rate. The development will be duplex condominiums clustered around shared open spaces, and shared parking arrangements will minimize vehicular traffic and emphasize pedestrian connections.
Valley acquired the site in August 2022 and is currently in the design phase. Valley presented the first schematic site and building plans at the District One Neighborhood Association BBQ in September 2022 with our design team, Peter Flinker from Dodson & Flinker Associates, and Tom Chalmers from Austin Design Cooperative, Inc.
The Ball Lane Community Homes site is on the PVTA Route #33 bus line — there are two stops adjacent to the site on Pulpit Hill Road.
Within 1/2 mile of:
- North Amherst Center
- Amherst Survival Center
- the Mill District (mixed-use development)
- Co-Housing development
- Puffers Pond & Robert Frost Trail
Within 1.2 miles of:
- UMass Amherst campus (on Route #33)
The site is located within the North Amherst Qualified Census Tract.
- 30 mixed-income duplex homes (15 structures)
- 2-bedroom and 3-bedroom
- 20 homes will be deed restricted as affordable
- 10 homes will be market rate
- Site design
- We would like to concentrate development in the previously developed area
- The homes will be clustered around a common open space
- The homes will have shared common parking
- We hope to preserve the frontage along Pulpit Hill Road
- Building design
- Approximately 900 square feet to 1,300 square feet
- Passive Solar design
- Interior and exterior storage space considered within design
- Photovoltaics (PV)
- Property purchased (August)
- Site and building design
- Community engagement
- CPA application (September)
- Additional local funding requests
- Public subsidy requests
- Finance closing
- Construction start
- Construction completion
- Home sales to qualified buyers
Contact Jessica Allan, Real Estate Project Manager
Call her at 413-586-5855 Ext. 210, or email her at email@example.com.